Friday 3 June 2011

Reflection on Sem 1 Placement

Semester 1 came to a closed.  I had a really lovely time at my placement school.  I mostly taught Maths.  Maths students in Yr 11 and 12 are required to use Graphic Calculator.  It was very interesting to see what they can achieve with this technology.  I wish I had one of those when I was in Yr 11 and 12.  Yr 9 students had a taste of the graphic calculator from the class set that the parents association bought.

I also team teach for yr 11 IT subject.  I am amazed on how much theory they did.  If I did that much theory in high school, I don't think I will ever choose computer as a subject in Uni.  If I teach yr 11 IT in the future, I would like to develop student depth of the subject.

I was very lucky to observe a few different classes on their use of computer.  Year 10 IT class wasn't very interesting either.  Students were evaluating the legitimacy of the website and also research on some key people in the history of computer.  Teacher told them not to use Google or Wikipedia, which I found very interesting.  I feels that they are a good source of information and starting point.  It is always advisable to check other places to make sure the information presented is accurate.


I really enjoyed my placement.  The classes that I taught and observed did not use a lots of computers.  I am really looking forward for my next placement.  From what I found out on the school website, my next placement school uses a lots more computers.  Yr 7 students all have iPad.  Yr 9 and 10 have netbook.  I would like to see how it is implemented.  I would also like to see how technology enhance the learning for students in Yr 7 to 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment